<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, October 04, 2004

Sleep and lack thereof

There's something to be said about sleep. Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with sleep. I would love to be able to fall asleep earlier and I hate the effects of lack of sleep. The problem is that when I'm tired apprently, for some reason, I can't sleep. And when I finally do get sleep I don't want to get up. I'm sure everyone has a similiar problem.

I've recently turned to quick-fixes to subdue this horribly beast that is my overactive-unwanting-to-sleep-psyche. I can tell you that none of that herbal shit like "melatonin," "seratonin" etc etc, does anything for sleep, even in doses far exceeding the manufacturers recommendations.

Certain herbal shit does help one to sleep, but I can't say that that's anyway to get a recooperative rest.

I've literally raveged through the medicine cabinet late at night, searching for something to take to cure my problems. I've quafed a bottle, (YES, an ENTIRE bottle) of sampler Niquil that some nice lady gave to me at Costco, taken meclezine, zolofts (yes, the anti-depression drug that I borrowed from a friend, but that is used to treat insomnia often) with no effect (although things did seem sunnier the next day ;-). Actually, just kidding, I really didn't notice anything.), Sudafeds and, even in great desperation, Advils and aspirin. These were all to no effect.

I did recently discover a cure-all drug, namely Benadryl, that did make me tired and that actually helped me to sleep. This only worked for a short period of time and the culmination of my long term use of Benedryl was the need to take successively higher doses, until I was taking nearly 6 times the recommended dosage. This would have been great, becase I have no quams about taking 6 times the dosage of anything if it helps me to sleep better. The problem was that in the morning, things didn't seem sunny at all. I don't know if the drug makes you depressed or you just have a hangover, but at any rate, I didn't feel real great in the morning.

So here I am, typing this late at night, looking for my next miracle cure.

--j

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?